Your pathway to healthy food, ethics, beer, and how these things can (and should!) come together in daily life.

Monday, May 30, 2011

All natural vanilla brown sugar scrub

I love sugar scrubs. LOVE them. I have tried to to buy them online, but not only are they ridiculously expensive, they are also chalk full of preservatives and chemicals, not something I want to put on my skin! But I digress... Making your own sugar scrub at home is cheap and easy! All you need is sugar, oil, vitamin E, and some sort of extract for a great smell. The sugar exfoliates your skin, the oil and vitamin E hydrate and moisturize your skin, and the smell is just so gosh darn good.

After looking through many, many sugar scrub recipes I found that most recipes used a 1:2 ratio of oil to sugar, as well as vitamin E. When it comes to vitamin E, capsules seem to be the cheapest, though the little bottles of straight oil would be much easier to use. Stabbing 10 capsules with a knife and squeezing them out is a little tedious but I am really really stingy.

So it goes...
So simple with four ingredients. Olive oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and vitamin E. You can use other sugars, oils, or extracts, but the basic idea is the same. I also had a container to keep in the fridge, and a littler one to keep in the shower.
I used 1 cup of sugar to 1/2 cup of oil.
And I used 10 vitamin E capsules. Capsules are difficult to get open, as I previously stated. The easiest way I've found is to hold the against the counter and prick with a knife on the seam. Then I squeeze as much out as possible into the sugar/oil mixture.Oh yeah. And I bet it's tasty too. Just kidding.
Then I put it in my little container to put in the shower. Sweet.
The rest I put in the fridge. I labeled it to avoid any confusion.
As far as other natural beauty goes, I may try beer shampoo next? But that is for another day.
Happy scrubbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment